Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Ulysses S. Grant, Jr., July 22, 1852-September 25, 1929, second child of Ulysses and Julia
Information About His Life
Ulysses S. Grant, Jr from Wikipedia
- Born July 22, 1852 in Bethel, Ohio. Because Ohio is known as the Buckeye state, he was nicknamed "Buck."
- Graduated from Harvard University in 1874, and from the Law School of Columbia University in 1876.
- Married Fannie Josephine Chaffee in 1880. Children: Miriam, Chaffee, Julia, Fannie, Ulysses IV.
- Moved to California in 1893 where he worked in the field of law and finance. Became a prominent citizen of San Diego. Biography of Buck from the Journal of San Diego History.
- Opened the U. S. Grant Hotel in 1910. Today it is a renovated, award-winning luxury hotel owned by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay nation. More about the U. S. Grant Hotel from Wikipedia.
- Married Mrs. America Workman Will in 1913 after the death of his wife Fannie. This was a very controversial marriage because of Mrs. Will's age and background. See the side box for two newspaper articles on this event.
- Buck shared his recollections of his famous father on the centenary of Grant's birth. See the article in the side box.
- Died September 26, 1929 and is buried in San Diego.