Ulysses S. Grant, Jr from Wikipedia
- Born July 22, 1852 in Bethel, Ohio. Because Ohio is known as the Buckeye state, he was nicknamed "Buck."
- Graduated from Harvard University in 1874, and from the Law School of Columbia University in 1876.
- Married Fannie Josephine Chaffee in 1880. Children: Miriam, Chaffee, Julia, Fannie, Ulysses IV.
- Moved to California in 1893 where he worked in the field of law and finance. Became a prominent citizen of San Diego. Biography of Buck from the Journal of San Diego History.
- Opened the U. S. Grant Hotel in 1910. Today it is a renovated, award-winning luxury hotel owned by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay nation. More about the U. S. Grant Hotel from Wikipedia.
- Married Mrs. America Workman Will in 1913 after the death of his wife Fannie. This was a very controversial marriage because of Mrs. Will's age and background. See the side box for two newspaper articles on this event.
- Buck shared his recollections of his famous father on the centenary of Grant's birth. See the article in the side box.
- Died September 26, 1929 and is buried in San Diego.