What do the faculty read? Our guest this week is Dr. Tom Gaetz, Associate Professor in the School of Education. Dr. Gaetz is the current winner of St. Scholastica's Max A. Lavine Award for Teaching Excellence. He will be the featured speaker in the College's annual Convocation ceremony on September 6.
Favorite or most influential books.
1. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. This is a personal account of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster when 8 climbers lost their lives.
2. Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. This is a biographical portrait of Abraham Lincoln and some of the men who served with him in his Cabinet.
3. Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby. This is a book about American anti-intellectualism.
4. Descent into Darkness by Edward Raymer. He was the navy’s chief diver in the operation to rescue men trapped in sunken ships after the Pearl Harbor attack.
5. Ramses II by Christian Jacq. This is a five book series on the life of the pharaoh, Ramses II.
What are you reading now?
Other People’s Children by Lisa Delpit.
Desert Island Pick (this is your bonus title--the book that you can take along to the island for sheer reading pleasure):
Prey books by John Sandford.