Other MLA Citation Resources:
Hoonuit - Many short tutorials on all aspects of MLA from how to create a title page to compiling your references. You will have to log in with your network username and password (same as for Blackboard and CSS email).
Plagiarism.org - Web site sponsored by WriteCheck and Turnitin and gives lots of help for learning what plagiarism is and how to avoid it through correct citations
Citation Machine - interactive web tool designed to assist students in their effort to respect other people's intellectual properties
BibMe - Free fully automatic bibliography maker that auto-fills
This LibGuide is to help you use the Modern Language Association (MLA) style guide, which is frequently used for the humanities including English, history, philosophy, music, and the fine arts.
This guide can help you with the more fundamental tasks including:
1. Works Cited Formats - examples and explanations for citing your sources in the various formats for your Works Cited list
2. Formatting Your Paper - how to set up your paper including the margins, font, and your Works Cited list as well as view a sample paper
3. In-text citations - also known as parenthetical notation - how to cite your references in the text of your paper
4. EndNote - bibliographic citation software, which can help format your citations and is freely available for download to CSS faculty, staff, and students
5. Avoiding Plagiarism - information on the College's academic honesty policy and Turnitin, an online tool to detect where sources need to be cited
Note: This guide is in no way a replacement for the actual handbook, which is over a hundred pages long and can be found in the Library on reserve or at a bookstore near you. Please consult the MLA Handbook 8th edition manual for authoritative information in greater detail. Also feel free to talk with a librarian for more help.
Having trouble with getting started on your paper? Would you like your paper edited before turning it in?
The Rose Frenzel Warner Writing/Critical Thinking Center is available to help! For more information, click here.