Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Archives of The College of St. Scholastica: Art at the College

Find out about our history through an online publications database, photos, stories and more!

Art at the College

The College is fortunate to have beautiful art throughout its campus to inspire its community. This art includes paintings and even tapestries in buildings that are themselves works of art with elaborate architectural details. In addition, there are sculptures both inside the buildings as well as on the grounds. 

If you have a chance, explore the campus and all the art has to offer. Otherwise, enjoy the images on this guide. To navigate the slide shows below, click on the arrows to the left and right.

Two of the most prominent artists from the College and photographs of their art are listed below.

In addition, check out this web page of the art located in the Library, which is above the Our Lady Queen of Peace of Chapel.

Sister Constantina Kakonyi, S.N.D.

Sister Constantina Kakonyi

Sister Constantina Kakonyi

Biography

Lamb of God Hammered Copper 1953

"Lamb of God" Hammered Copper 1953

Located on the first floor of Tower Hall hallway

The Servant of Yahweh Metallic Foil Gold Relief 1972

"The Servant of Yahweh" Metallic Foil Gold Relief 1972

Located in the Mitchell Auditorium foyer

Crucifixion 1955

Crucifixion 1955

Located on the second floor of Tower Hall

Scenic Mono-Print

Scenic Mono-Print

Located in 2115 in the Faculty/Staff Lounge in Tower Hall

Hungarian Madonna Metallic Silver Foil Relief 1990

"Hungarian Madonna" Metallic Silver Foil Relief 1990

Located in the stairwell across from the elevator between the third and fourth floors of Tower Hall

Homeward Metallic Silver Foil Relief

"Homeward" Metallic Silver Foil Relief

Located in the stairwell across from the elevator between the third and fourth floors of Tower Hall

Angels of Peace Metallic Silver Foil Relief 1981

Angels of Peace Metallic Silver Foil Relief 1981

Located in the stairwell across from the elevator between the third and fourth floors of Tower Hall

"The Sixth Seal" 1990

Located in 5115 in the south tower of Tower Hall

"The Lamb" 1991

Located in 5115 in the south tower of Tower Hall

"Holy Family" 1968

Located at the top of the stairs in the north tower of Tower Hall

St. Gertrude Hammered Copper 1954

St. Gertrude Hammered Copper 1954

Located outside Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel

Venerable Bede Hammered Copper 1954

Venerable Bede Hammered Copper 1954

Located outside Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 1

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 1

Located on the first floor of Library

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 2

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 2

Located on the first floor of the Library

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 3

Prophet Elijah Mono-Print 3

Located on the first floor of the Library

Landscape Mono-Print 1979

Landscape Mono-Print 1979

Located on the second floor of the Library

Northeastern Minnesota Strong and Beautiful 1963

"Northeastern Minnesota Strong and Beautiful" 1963

Located on second floor of the Library

Sister Mary Charles McGough, O.S.B.

Sister Mary Charles McGough

Sister Mary Charles McGough

Biography

Original Peace Doors 1986

Original Peace Doors 1986

Located on display in the Alpha Chi north entrance on the ground floor of Tower Hall

Current Replicas of Peace Doors 2006

Current Replicas of Peace Doors 2006

The original peace doors located on the outside of the cloister walk connecting Tower Hall and Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel were getting damaged by the weather, so laser cut, hand detailed replicas were installed in 2006. 

Elie Wiesel Woodcut

Elie Wiesel Woodcut

He came and spoke at a spring convocation in 1978 and received a Doctor of Humane Letters honorary degree 

Located on the second floor of the Library

The Rev. Francis X. Shea, S.J. Woodcut

The Rev. Francis X. Shea, S.J. Woodcut

He was president of the College from 1971 to 1974

Located on the second floor of the Library