1. Have students sign an Honor Code at the beginning of the semester
2. Have students sign a pledge at the end of the assignment that this is their work "I declare on my honor that I have neither given nor received unauthorized help on this..."
3. Explain what plagiarism means
4. Explain what is wrong about plagiarism
5. Make consequences clear
6. Start off with clear expectations for assigments, group work, resources, etc.
7. Show how to quote and paraphrase with examples
8. Show how to do in-text citations and bibliographies/works cited/references
9. Have students annotate bibliographies
10. Assign oral presentations
11. Have students hand in print outs of their sources
12. Assign a paragraph on the process they took for researching and writing the paper
13. Know what temptations are out there before you create an assignement and adjust accordingly such as having students write on a more recent or lesser known book or topic
14. Maintain your own database of papers by having students submit an electronic copy you can store on your computer
15. Require recent and printed sources
16. Do not allow students to change their topics at the last minute