Common Citation Styles at CSS
MLA Handbook, 7th ed.
- Used within the Humanities including English, History, Communication, etc.
APA Manual, 6th ed.
- Used within the Social Sciences including Business, Education, Psychology, etc.
AMA Manual, Rev. ed.
- Used within the Medical field including Physical Therapy (PT), Occupational Therapy (OT), and Exercise Physiology.
Turabian/Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed.
- Used within the field of History.
This LibGuide is to help you use the Modern Language Association (MLA) style guide, which is frequently used for the humanities including English, history, philosophy, music, and the fine arts.
This guide can help you with the more fundamental tasks including:
1. Works Cited Formats - examples and explanations for citing your sources in the various formats for your Works Cited list
2. Formatting Your Paper - how to set up your paper including the margins, font, and your Works Cited list as well as view a sample paper
3. In-text citations - also known as parenthetical notation - how to cite your references in the text of your paper
4. EndNote - bibliographic citation software, which can help format your citations and is freely available for download to CSS faculty, staff, and students
5. Avoiding Plagiarism - information on the College's academic honesty policy and Turnitin, an online tool to detect where sources need to be cited
Note: This guide is in no way a replacement for the actual Handbook, which is several hundred pages long, and can be found in the Library on reserve or at a bookstore near you. Please consult the MLA Handbook 7th edition manual for authoritative information in greater detail. Also feel free to talk with a librarian for more help.
MLA Citation Help
Other MLA Citation Resources:
Atomic Learning - Many short tutorials on all aspects of APA from how to create a title page to compiling your references. You will have to log in with your network username and password (same as for Blackboard and CSS email).
Plagiarism.org - Web site sponsored by WriteCheck and Turnitin and gives lots of help for learning what plagiarism is and how to avoid it through correct citations
Citation Machine - interactive web tool designed to assist students in their effort to respect other people's intellectual properties